What is “ASQi”?
ASQi is an anonymous survey of instructional and professional staff in HCPS that will assess teaching conditions at the school and district level. Much like surveys you have completed in the past, this survey is a valuable feedback tool. The district is committed to ensuring that every educator has the supportive environment necessary to succeed.
What is the purpose of the 2020 ASQi Survey?
The 2020 ASQi Survey which will take place January 20 – February 21, 2020 is an opportunity for all instructional and professional staff to provide input on teaching and learning conditions such as:
- Time during the day for collaborative instructional planning
- School and teacher leadership
- Facilities and resources
- Professional development
- And other supports needed for educators to do their jobs well.
Survey data will be used for school improvement and planning efforts.
Why are we doing the ASQi HCPS Survey?
HCPS has decided to continue to collect the annual data from educators to maintain a stable set of teaching conditions data for each school over time. Center for Optimal Learning Environments (COLE) is the survey vendor for ASQi. COLE is a national organization whose mission is to connect research-based strategies and best practices with key decision makers to transform school learning environments.
Why are teaching conditions important?
Teaching conditions matter:
- For students (achievement) because they can result in school and district improvements
- For teachers (retention) because positive conditions can increase morale and job satisfaction
- Not everyone sees teaching conditions the same way, but it is important to gather feedback when trying to change the status quo.
This work, including the ASQi survey, is research driven and is part of national education reform initiatives.
Who are the partners supporting ASQi?
- HCTA, and
This survey represents a collaboration between these groups and a joint effort to gain input from instructional and professional staff.
What are the basics of the survey?
- The survey is an anonymous, online survey of all school-based instructional and professional staff in HCPS.
- The survey will be live from January 20 – February 21, 2020.
- The survey can be completed from any computer with Internet access, using an individual, anonymous access code.
- Only schools with adequate response rates will have their school data reported. This will protect anonymity of respondents for schools with fewer than 5 respondents or less than 50% participation.
- Results will be available to district leaders and school administrations in a secure format within about 6 weeks of the survey’s end.
Who should participate in the ASQi survey?
- This survey is intended for:
- Instructional and Professional personnel (Classroom Teachers, Specialists, Department Heads, Counselors, Coaches, Resource Teachers, Psychologists, Social Workers, Nurses, LPNs, Assistant Principals, and Principals)
- The following groups should not participate in ASQi:
- Clerical or support personnel (secretaries, bookkeepers, custodial and lunchroom staff)
Will parents, students, and support staff take a climate and perception survey?
- The School Climate and Perception Survey (SCIP) will continue to be administered to:
- Parents (online in English and Spanish)
- Support Staff (online survey in English and Spanish)
- Students (online in English)
- Information about SCIP will be sent to sites separate from the ASQi materials.
How do we know when a school reaches the minimum 50% response rate needed for school-level data?
Visit (http://hcps.asqinitiative.com) you will be able to see any school and view a response rate tracker.
How long does it take to complete the survey?
ASQi takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes to complete.
You must complete it in one session, and be sure to click “submit” when you are finished.
Once you are finished and hit submit you will see a message thanking you for completing the 2020 HCPS ASQi Survey. Note: The submission window will close automatically after 10 seconds.
How can I access the survey?
Once you receive your anonymous access code, visit http://hcps.asqinitiative.com.
- 24 hours/day
- Use any computer with Internet access
- View the survey questions
- Read about the research
- Take the survey!
- It is recommended to take the survey using a Chrome Browser on a laptop or desktop computer for the best user experience.
How will teachers and administrators receive their anonymous access codes?
The school will receive a packet of letters and codes via mail during the week prior to the January 20, 2020 launch.
Instructions for the survey and a letter for each participant will be included in the letter with your code
Why is it important to complete the ASQI Survey?
- A growing body of research shows the importance of positive teaching conditions to student learning and teacher retention.
- HCPS District Leaders want to hear from every teacher and administrator in order to make informed decisions about facilities and resources, professional development, time for collaboration, and ways for improving instruction.
- ASQi will provide that data and much more.
- Your voice will help determine what decisions are made not only at your school, but also in the district.
Do administrators take the same survey as teachers?
While administrators will use the same website (http://hcps.asqinitiative.com) to access the survey, they will respond to somewhat different questions.
Administrators will also receive a letter with an anonymous access code when these are distributed at the school so that they can participate. At the very beginning of the survey, participants will be asked to indicate his/her school position.
When the principal selects “Administrator” he/she will then receive some of the same questions as teachers, but there will also be questions specifically designed for administrators.
These additional questions are intended for administrators only and will help assess district level supports needed to do their jobs well.
How are the administrator results reported?
To ensure anonymity of all respondents, all responses for administrators are reported at the district level only.
Can you ensure that this is anonymous?
- The survey is about the school environment – not about any one person or individual.
- There are NO questions asked that refer to an individual educator or administrator rather, questions refer to “leadership” at the school.
- There are no questions on the survey that specifically ask about subject areas or grade levels.
- Given these measures and the access codes used, we can assure participants that the survey is anonymous.
- When the school reports are compiled, for schools that reach at least a 50% response rate with a minimum of 5 teachers participating, there will be no indication or groupings by type of teacher, role, or other identifiable category.
- While there are some demographic questions on the survey, the answers to these questions are only reported at the district level, and not at the school level.
- There is no way to determine which teacher or principal provided a certain response once the data are reported.
What if I’m the only new teacher? Or the only ELL teacher? How will my response really be anonymous?
There is a minimum requirement that at least 5 respondents are received for any school data to be reported. Also, at least 50% of the staff must participate for the school data to be reported.
So, unless there are at least 5 teachers within any given category, no data will appear on the school report for the “New Teacher Section.”
Additionally, individuals have added security knowing that:
- It is not possible to view data by role, years of experience, or any other demographic information at the school or district level.
- Demographic data will only be reported at the district level.
When will the results be ready? How can they be viewed?
All data will be available on the http://hcps.asqinitiative.com website approximately 6 weeks after the close of the survey window.
- Results show answers to every question by school (*Results for schools reaching the minimum threshold for response.) and district.
- Results can be downloaded in an Excel format
There will be tools posted on http://hcps.asqinitiative.com that will describe how schools can use the data for school improvement planning.
What can I see if I visit http://hcps.asqinitiative.com during the survey window?
- Entry to the survey via individualized, anonymous access code through letters to schools
- Real time response rates per school and district during the administration window
- Help Desk throughout survey
- News Items
- Expected date when the results will be available.
Who is administering this survey?
HCPS has contracted with the Center for Optimal Learning Environments (COLE) to administer the ASQi survey.
COLE is a national organization which connects research-based strategies and best practices with key decision makers to transform school learning environments. Its focus is to help you transform school learning environments so that every student can win. COLE employs three main strategies to accomplish this:
- Meaningful Engagement – COLE believes that teacher effectiveness and retention are key to student success. Through its Action for School Quality Initiative (ASQi) the collective voice of the education community is heard and collected- determining structural strengths and improvement opportunities.
- Data Management and Reporting – COLE quantifies learnings from a variety of data sources and reports on key strategies/practices that are deemed successful and promising.
- Policy Consultation – COLE advises district, state, and national decision makers on successful strategies to improve teaching and learning environments. Areas of focus may include elements of school and teacher leadership; district and state policies including compliance with ESSA plans; high poverty districts and schools; and use of limited resources connected to student learning to ensure equitable distribution.
Where can I get help with the survey?
If any questions or concerns arise about the ASQi survey, you have several options:
- During the survey window, contact the ASQi Help Desk which can be found at (http://hcps.asqinitiative.com) 7:30AM – 4:30PM Monday through Friday.
- Ask your Building Representative or school administrator for help.
- Contact the HCPS Office of Strategy Management for clarification on dates, procedures, materials, etc. by calling Dr. Jessica Swere @ 813-272- 4457.
What should the administrator do if the number of Educators Per School is not accurate?
To determine the minimum response rate it is important that each administrator check the # educators listed for your school on the HCPS.ASQInitiative.Com website by clicking on the “Response rate” tab.
- If the number for your school is incorrect, please go the top orange menu bar and scroll over “About ASQ Initiative” and click on “News” link. Follow the instructions to complete the headcount change.
- it may take up to a day to adjust the number on the website
The # of educators for your school can not be changed after the survey window closes!